Moniteau County is a county located in the U.S. state of Missouri. As of the 2010 census, the population was 15,607. The county was organized February 14, 1845 and named for the Moniteau Creek. ‘Moniteau’ is a French spelling of Manitou, Algonquian for “the Great Spirit.”
The county has a total area of 419 square miles, of which 415 square miles is land and 3.8 square miles is water.
Major communities are: California (county seat), Clarksburg, Enon, Fortuna, High Point, Jamestown, Latham, Lupus, McGirk, and Tipton.
Major highways are: U.S. Route 50, Route 5, Route 87, and Route 179.
As of the 2000 census, there were 14,827 people, 5,259 households, and 3,728 families residing in the county. The population density was 36 people per square mile. There were 5,742 housing units at an average density of 14 per square mile. The racial makeup of the county was 92.75% White, 3.78% Blackor African American, 0.40% Native American, 0.31% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 1.48% from other races, and 1.27% from two or more races. Approximately 2.93% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 35.8% were of German, 20.5% American, 8.2% English and 7.0% Irish ancestry, according to Census 2000.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.90% under the age of 18, 8.20% from 18 to 24, 31.10% from 25 to 44, 20.90% from 45 to 64, and 13.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 113.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 116.80 males.
- Clarksburg C-2 School District – Clarksburg
- Clarksburg Elementary School (K-08)
- High Point R-III School District – High Point
- High Point Elementary School (K-08)
- Jamestown C-1 School District– Jamestown
- Jamestown Elementary School (PK-06)
- Jamestown High School (07-12)
- Moniteau County R-I School District– California
- California Elementary School (PK-05)
- California Middle School (06-08)
- California High School(09-12)
- Moniteau County R-V School District – Latham
- Moniteau County Elementary School (K-08)
- Tipton R-VI School District– Tipton
- Tipton Elementary School (PK-06)
- Tipton High School (07-12)
- California Christian Academy – California(02-07) – Nondenominational Christian
- Hazel Dell School – Latham(02-09) – Mennonite
- Prairie Union School – Latham(02-09) – Mennonite
- South Latham School – Latham(01-08) – Mennonite
- Andrew School– Tipton (K-09) – Roman Catholic